Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Feeling Fall


While we are still getting some 80 degree days, the evenings, with their delicious crispness, have certainly heralded the arrival of fall. This year, I decided I wanted to actually do something in our house so that it felt like a different season in here as well. 


Ed hasn't exactly encouraged these decorations, but now that they are up, he seems happy with them. I love that our house looks "special" for these next few months.



When I first picked out the fall decor, some bright orange pumpkin placemats were on display at the front of Bed, Bath and Beyond. In all honesty, the were pretty silly looking. However, they were"cheap" and I thought they would look sort of cute. 

Felt Pumpkin Placemat
Well, when I got them home and set up, Ed took one look at them and made it pretty clear that he was not a fan. Deep down, I knew he was right. Maybe they would be fun with kids, but they wren't reallly the look I was going for.  and so I took them back and got these - classy, much more "grown up" and prefect for fall. 

 
I got the napkins at Sur la Table - a little bit of a splurge, but they feel very special. 

The candle holder is also new - it was a bit of an impulse buy from The Home Store (TJMaxx), but we have really enjoyed having more candles. This is one of those things that I fear we won't be able to have as much when we have kids, since it could be a bit of a hazard to have things burning with little ones crawling about :). We've since moved this to the top of the entertainment center, and with that, plus the candles on our coffee table lit, our living room is perfectly lit for watching a movie. 

And, of all of my decorations, this is my favorite. 

This, surprisingly enough has been the decor to cause the most controversy. While I was gone at science camp last week, I called Ed once. During the phone call, Ed told me that he had just spent the last half hour talking with our apartment manager. Apparently, we are not allowed to hang things on our door, unless it is for a holiday. Now, I would certainly say that this wreath falls under the category of holiday decor, to celebrate the holiday season of fall. However, apparently a season is too broad. 

Ed, being my amazing knight in shining honor, jumped to the defense of my pretty wreath, that I put together myself. My first wreath, that I seem to have a childlike pride over. He simply explain that, if it wasn't okay to decorate for fall, that this wreath would celebrate Halloween. Then, he would "put it up again" after Halloween to celebrate Thanksgiving. Then, of course, a Christmas/Winter wreath will follow. Technically, this falls under the rules, so we appear to be in the clear. 

When I enter and leave each day, I feel a little thrill at not only seeing my home so prettily decorated for fall, but also knowing that that wreath symbolizes our little victory over making our home a bit prettier. 

And, of course, it wouldn't be fall without the delicious smell of fresh pumpkin bread baking in the oven. 

Since the beginning of October, we have managed to polish off 3 loaves of pumpkin bread (one we made, one my mom shipped to us, and one was bought for s at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival). 

Needless to say, we are really enjoying this wonderful season.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful decorations, and that pumpkin bread looks awesome! I love this time of year. Hope you are enjoying your fall!

    ReplyDelete