Friday, August 31, 2012

All I can really say is that I made it. 

This week was hard. Which is sort of fitting since it marks exactly one month since my school year started (the teaching part at least). 

The week began with me curled up on the floor of our bathroom with a horrible case of stomach flu, if that's any indication of how awesome this week was. The week in its entirety was definitely a low point that was, in a sense, a long time coming. I'm pretty sure I'm running dangerously close to getting burned out at my new job. Suffice to say, I'm working harder than I did as a first year teacher, and something has to give. I'll just have to hope that it will start to get better eventually. 

In any event, attending a happy hour with the other new ASU faculty tonight was a very lovely highlight in an otherwise pretty awful week. It's so nice to spend time with a bunch of other people who are in the same situation - brand new to the area and just starting a new job. There are 4 other new faculty besides Ed, and one 3rd year faculty who joined us. We went to the place Ed and I visited two weeks ago, this great pizza and wine bar on "Mill Ave." (ASU's downtown). 

My brother-in-law (Ed's brother) Tom and his fiancee, Erma, are arriving tomorrow for the weekend, which should be fun! We're also "celebrating" 5 years since the day we met tomorrow (which we just realized yesterday), so we're hoping to go out to dinner and possibly a moving in the evening to celebrate. Hopefully I can take at least a day off of work and get some rest :).

Since I haven't gotten a chance to share these yet, here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks.

First, Ed's first office!


It may not be huge, but it has a window and is all his. Ed's asked for some help decorating it to make it feel a bi more homey :). 


Ed also went running here, the Superstition Mountains, last weekend. He's done a very good job exploring!


Ed made us a lovely breakfast, too (obviously before I was sick!). It's really fun to do the same kind of things we used to do back in Campbell, in our new home. 



Fingers crossed this weekend will be revitalizing and next week will be much better than this one. 

2 comments:

  1. Teaching at a new school has to feel just like being a first year teacher. I feel for you!

    Superstition Mountains looks like an incredible place to run or hike. You are introducing me to all sorts of places that I know I'd never know a thing about if it weren't for your blog.

    Hope you are feeling back to normal now. A bad virus is making its way around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better, Addy! Great pictures, as always. Those mountains are amazing, and those breakfasts look delicious! And Ed's office is cool, too! :)

    Hope you are enjoying a nice Labor Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete