Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Day of Relaxation






 Ed and I drove out to California on June 12th, starting our trip in Mission Viejo visiting with my parents. Ed and I had actually seen a good amount of my parents lately, with visits out a few times the previous month, but it was still very nice to have some quality time together. 

My mom and I had decided earlier that month that the best way to start our summers would be to a very relaxing day. For mother's day and her birthday, I'd promised to treat my mom to a spa day and lunch, so we chose the 13th as our special day. 

We started our morning at the spa:

My dad had actually gifted my mom to a massage that she hadn't used, so I was able to just contribute to upgrading my mom's experience. We had a lovely time using the spa, sauna, and mist room before and after the massages, and felt thoroughly de-stressed when we left a few hours later.


Next, we headed to Laguna Beach for lunch at one of my mom's favorite places: The Montage Resort



This place is incredible - with spectacular food and pure bliss. Of course, it costs an arm and a leg, so we just indulged in lunch - a much easier and more attainable way of enjoying these gorgeous grounds. 

 
(After the fog burned off. This is the view from the balcony beyond the main sitting area)
 
We were lucky enough that it wasn't very busy, and got a lovely seat right by the window, so we could enjoy the view without worrying about the weather. 

 
 The weather was gray to start, but by the time we'd finished was a brilliant, sunny day.

Of course, we had to get some wine to celebrate the occasion, since this was technically for a birthday and Mother's day.

The food was excellent. Looking at the picture, I'm not sure that I can even remember exactly what was on our sandwich beyond some kind of fish (maybe Mahi Mahi?) and a very good slaw. It was very good, though. 


I may have mentioned the occasion when making our reservation, and was very happy when they brought out a little cake for my mom. A perfect end to our meal!


Afterwards, we decided to take advantage of the day and location and walk around. Everything looked even more beautiful with the sun shining. 


The pathway outside of the resort takes you along the beach, and even though it'd only been a month since my last ocean visit, it was still breathtaking. 


As a "desert dweller" I now get a kick out of spotting agaves, and was excited to spot these bloomers. 


 I couldn't get over the color of the water - I'd forgotten all of those different shades of blue.


Of course, we had to go down and get our feet wet. Just the way to start a California vacation.


As you get older, there just isn't nearly enough time with just your mom (or dad). It was so nice to have a special day all to ourselves!







No comments:

Post a Comment