Thursday, July 21, 2011

Big Bear - Our First Day

A few weeks ago, Ed and I traveled down to the San Bernadino Mountains to spend a week in a beautiful cabin with my side of the family. While not everyone could stay for the whole time, it was a wonderful chance to spend time relaxing with my family, who I don't get to see nearly often enough. 

It was a bit of a long drive (7 and a half hours) but it went by quickly, with Ed driving the first shift (about 2 hours) and me driving the next (about 3 hours). After 5 hours of driving, we finally arrived in Palmdale, where we stopped for a late breakfast at Scramblez.

The online reviews said great things about their biscuits, so we went with their recommendation. We each ordered something with the plan to share.

Ed got a giant omlette, which came with a side of biscuits and gravy. 

I ordered what was basically open faced biscuits topped with sausage, eggs and gravy, and a side of potatoes (obviously I ate very healthy on this trip :P). 


We barely seemed to make a dent in this heavy meal, and took the rest for Ed to have as a snack later. 

After leaving the 5 freeway, Ed and I were in new territory, on a highway through a part of California we had never visited. 

Ends up, it's mostly desert. Lots and lots of desert (almost typed dessert there....apparently my mind is still on food). 

We did get to see a bunch of joshua trees, which is always fun, but it really reinforced for my my hope that we will never have to move to the desert. 


As we got closer to the actual mountains we passed through some cool rock formations.

And, despite lots of traffic and construction as we climbed up the mountain, we finally made it to the cabin. 

Now, when I say cabin, what might jump to your mind would be one of those little houses that people used to live in on the frontier. 

However, that is not what this was. This was a 3000 square foot (I think) masterpiece of wood, with three stories, beautiful details, and even a moose head. (in actuality, while I know that the heads of animals add to the whole "log cabin feel," I couldn't help but feel a little creeped out by this massive head that presided over the living room). 


In any event, it was a beautiful place to stay and plenty spacious for all the people who would be staying there. 


The first afternoon and evening my parents were the only other ones there, and they made for us a delicious salmon recipe out of the cabin's cookbook.



It was delicous and healthy meal (maybe it counteracted our earlier indulgence?), perfect for a summer evening.


After dinner, we went out onto the porch to enjoy the fading sunlight on the mountain, and felt content with this lovely start to our vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment