Monday, April 18, 2011

Menu Planning Monday

Monday - Coq au Vin
Ash and I made this Barefoot Contessa recipe, with a few edits to make it healthier. It was a tasty and delicious meal!

Tuesday - Fettucini Alfredo with Shrimp and Asparagus

While this looked tasty, the asparagus was a complete bust - not tasty at all. So I picked around it and enjoyed the rest. 

Wednesday - More Fettucini
We kept it easy and just remade Tuesday's dinner

Thursday - Soy Ginger Pork with Onion and Cilantro, served with Cous Cous


Ed threw this dish together, and it turned out great! We didn't want to go shopping, so he made a great dish with what we had on hand. 

Friday - Linguini with Lemon and Shrimp



I had some friends over for our monthly knitting night (though I'm certainly the least capable knitter of the group :) ). I took this as an opportunity to try out some new recipes (which didn't disappoint). 

For the main course, I served Giada's linguine recipe, which features making lemon infused oil and shrimp scampi. While I messed up and didn't realize my frozen shrimp had shells (which meant I had to take each cooked shrimp out of the oil and de-shell them), but they tasted great. The lemon flavor wasn't nearly as strong as I had thought it would be, but it was still good. I had freshly grated parmesean on top, which was a nice touch.  

With it, I served what is known in our family as "Jane's Salad," a delicious mix of lettuce, dried cranberries, manderin oranges, avocado, blue cheese and apple. It's topped with a sweet, light dressing, and is a wonderful spring/summer (and I suppose fall/winter, since we have it for Thanksgiving and Christmas more often than not) salad. 


And, as I already mentioned, I made fresh foccacia bread, which was exciting :). 


And of course, any good meal needs a nice setting. I picked out some pretty flowers from Trader Joes and got to break out our wedding presents (though, since we didn't get 2 sets of anything, our "nice" dishes are our everday ones as well). Still, it was nice to set a table for five!


Saturday - Leftovers
Despite the fact that the pasta was supposed to serve 4-6, the five of us barely ended up making a dent in it. So, Ed and I ate this for lunch and dinner the next day (which finally polished it off). We were going to go out for dinner, but saw no reason for it!

Sunday - Ginger Salmon with Artichoke, Brown Rice, and Salad
We cooked our salmon on out grill pan, with a bit of grated ginger and soy sauce added towards the end of the cooking. It's artichoke season right now, so we got them for 67 cents each! It was delicious. 




No comments:

Post a Comment