Monday, May 2, 2011

Menu Planning Monday

This week, I had a new idea of how to use this posting. I actually wrote this Monday afternoon, when Ed and I planned our dinners for the week. By putting it on here first, I was able to link the post with the recipe that I'm using, so I don't forget where it is (sadly enough, many weeks find me somewhat frantically searching my browser history looking for that certain recipe that I had bought ingredients for). I'm hoping this will help with the ease of menu planning :).


Monday: Cabernet Pot Roast and Baked Potato
This was another idea from my sister, Ashley. This is a premarinaded pot roast from Trader Joes and cooks up in a crock pot  or in the oven. Ed suggested that we do it in the crock pot, and volunteered to take that on. After we got home in the afternoon, Ed made the second suggestion that we pick up some onion and carrots and add that into the crock pot for the last hour and a half. Since they wouldn't be in there for that long, I mostly cooked the onion and carrot first on the stove and then added it into the roast.


I have to say, though, that this was so delicious! It tasted great over the baked potato and the meat was incredibly tender. Now, I want to figure out how to make this dish without having to buy the more expensive TJ's meat.

We had planned on eating this for dinner another night, but it didn't last that long. I had two delicious lunches out of it (I had also made an extra potato that I split between the lunches), and Ed had one more meal.

Tuesday: Turkey Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Salad 
This is such a great/easy meal to do after a long day of work. I love these sweet potato fries (just frozen) and this burger is very filling. 


Wednesday: BBQ Chicken and Rice/ Leftovers
Another tired day. Ed made me the BBQ chicken while he had leftover Pot Roast. We also had some salad.

Thursday:  Szechuan Shrimp with Peppers

I decided to try this recipe after I saw it on Jean's Blog. I did end up adding flank steak that I had on hand ( I worried if the shrimp alone would be filling enough for Ed). I also added in two onions and broccoli to bulk it up. 

This had a perfect amount of kick thanks to the chili garlic sauce, but wasn't overpowering. While this dish took a bit of time to prepare, it was well worth it (and made for a great lunch the next day). 




Friday: Happy Hour at The Wine Cellar
Ed suggested that we check out a happy hour to celebrate the end of the week, and ended up taking us to this place, which is a bit out of our price range normally. We had to sit by the bar to get the discount, but it was nice inside and we got to enjoy $3 beers. We also got some appetizers, which were tasty, but a bit expensive, even with the discount. Still, they filled us up and served as dinner!


Saturday: Indian Take Out
After our wonderful run filled day, Indian food sounded perfect, so we went with this. We did try Lamb Korma for the first time, which was nice and more mild than the Chickn Tikka Masala, so it provided a good balance.


Sunday: Chicken and Waffles
Have to say, can't believe I haven't tried this combination before! Ed and I were feeling like waffles this morning, but didn't have syrup, so I suggested we do "breakfast for dinner," like I used to do occassionally as a kid. Then, when we were at Costco, I suggested we get a rotisserie chicken (forgetting about the waffles idea). Ed, however, remembered and suggested with have both.

It was delicious. The chicken is heartier than bacon, and not greasy, but still gives you that salty protein taste. I don't think this will be the last time I have this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment