Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Transitions

At dinner this past week, Ed and I had the good fortune to spend some time with a small group of friends, including a visiting friend, who currently lives many miles away. At that dinner, she made the comment of how exciting it was to be getting older, since age is bringing with it so many exciting changes, as those in our circle move up in their careers to those next levels.

I can count myself among those "moving up."


While I had no notions of taking this on so "soon" in my teaching career, I was approached my by principal a few weeks ago and asked if I would be willing to take on a student teacher.

It seems not so long ago that I was a student teacher myself. I don't think I ever mentioned too much about it on here but, suffice to say, it was not a good experience (though, my first semester was lovely. I couldn't have asked for a better placement. It was just what happened from January on that was not so great). I still feel, in many respects, like a new teacher, so it's definitely an intimidating prospect to be acting as the expert teacher and helping a new person (who, I think, is older than me!) learn about this exceptional of careers.

Still, I think I am ready for this. I am so excited to be hopefully helping a new person into the profession, and share my wonderful class (though, selfishly, I wonder if I'll be as gracious in sharing my class once I have to sit quietly to the side as someone else teaches my kids).

I sincerely hope I can do justice to this role, but I feel that this marks a new phase in my teaching career.

No comments:

Post a Comment