Friday, March 4, 2011

Green Chile Chili

I found this recipe while looking for a not too tricky chili recipe to make for my sister and brother in law, so that they could have something tasty to pull out of the freezer as they enjoy life with their newborn. I was drawn to this recipe because of the Salsa Verde included as an incredient, my favorite kind of salsa.


 Green Chile Chili

Verdict? While making it for my sister, it smelled so good I was sorry to not be eating any myself. So, when I got home, I made Ed and myself a double batch. I may have made a few errors shopping (i.e. not enough beans or green chile, so I improvised with black beans, and some extra cumin and coriander to add some flavor). 

We ended up defrosting our leftovers only 3 days later, which was a delicious midweek meal, though may have discounted to usefulness of a "freezer meal". 

And, of course, no bowl of chili would be complete without:
Ed gives me a bit of a hard time for my loyalty for these little, old fashioned boxes of cornbread, but we always ate "Jiffy" growing up, and I just can't bring myself to change, especially when it's so consistently tasty! My first batch of muffins were a bit small, so for our second chili night, I made 6 muffins, as opposed ot 8, and they were perfect! Fluffy and delicious.

All in all, a great meal for this cold weather evenings. 

Ingredients

  • 1  tablespoon  canola oil
  • 12  ounces  ground sirloin
  • 1 1/2  cups  chopped onion
  • 1  tablespoon  chili powder
  • 1  teaspoon  hot paprika
  • 5  garlic cloves, minced
  • 1  (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
  • 1/2  cup  salsa verde
  • 1  (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
  • 1  (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and crushed
  • 1  (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4  cup  (1 ounce) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1  green onion, sliced

Preparation

1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef; sauté for 5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion, chili powder, and paprika; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in beer; bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add salsa and the next 3 ingredients (through beans); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle 1 1/4 cups chili into each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Sprinkle with green onion.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
310
Fat:
10.6g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.5g,poly 4.4g)
Protein:
24.1g
Carbohydrate:
25.1g
Fiber:
4.3g
Cholesterol:
52mg
Iron:
4.8mg
Sodium:
575mg
Calcium:
95mg

2 comments:

  1. We loved the chili!!!!! It was so yummy. As was the lasagna. Maybe the best lasagna that I have ever had. Thanks again for coming to visit and making us yummy food. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked both of them! I guess we should try that lasagna recipe ourselves :).

    Give a kiss to Amelia for me!

    ReplyDelete