Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thankfulness: Day 7 and Throwback Thursday

Going to try to keep up with this "Throwback Thursday" idea and realized it worked perfectly to combine with my Thanks today.

Today, I am thankful for my wonderfully supportive parents. With life and general, they have been wonderful, but there were few moments more special than when we got to tell them that we were finally going to be blessed with a little one. 


Just a week after we found out I was pregnant, we headed to San Diego for Ed's work and were planning to meet up with my parents for lunch. We realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to let them know about this surprise, since we really wanted to let them know in person. 

My parents had booked an amazing table at this great outdoor restaurant in La Jolla, which was such a breathtaking backdrop for our lunch. Going into it, I had toyed with a few years of how I'd share the news, but ended up jumping at the opportunity when it presented. If you know my family, you know we love a good bottle of wine. So, of course, my dad grabbed the wine list. Being the nice father he is, he handed it to me and asked me to choose a bottle. I replied that I wasn't actually going to be drinking today since I was pregnant!

My mom's reaction was priceless. She immediately leapt out of her seat with joy, exclaiming how thrilled, and surprised, she was. She gave me a huge hug and was telling me how much she had been hoping for this. 


My dad, of course, was just thrilled, too, though not quite as exuberant as my mom :). He seemed very excited about sharing the news, so we had to emphasize a few times that this was a compete secret, since we were waiting for Ed's mom's birthday to share the news with her, and no one else knew. We wanted to keep it a secret for a while. It was so nice, though, to have both parents so thrilled about this next phase of our lives. They are already wonderful grandparents to my niece, and I know they will give just as much love to our little one. 


And since I know you both read this, thanks for being great parents!



No comments:

Post a Comment