Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fava Beans

Ed and I decided to be adventurous at the farmer's market and pick up some fava beans to try out for dinner one night. I had had them once beforebut had no idea on how to cook them. 

Step one was to open the pods. I was happily surprised by the inside - it was fuzzy! Not what I was expecting to find inside. 



After splitting open the pods, I removed all the beans. However, they weren't done yet. Fava beans actually have a tough outer skin which also has to be removed.

To do this, you need to blanch the beans (put them in boiling water and then in an ice cold bath). After that, the skins were easy to tear, so that you can pop out the bright green inner bean. 



Finally, I added a generous amount of olive oil to a pan and sauteed the beans for about five minutes (the second time I did this, I added a few cloves of galic to the oil, which was a great addition).


With the beans, I cooked up a childhood favorite - Uncle Ben's wild rice.


And, placed the fava beans on some freshly grilled salmon. Served with an artichoke, it was the perfect late spring meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment